How i take care for my CKD cat(15 yrs and also T4)

Forum voor alle vragen m.b.t. nierziekten (nierfalen/nierinsufficientie)
Plaats reactie
softvoice2007
Huiskat
Huiskat

How i take care for my CKD cat(15 yrs and also T4)

Bericht door softvoice2007 »

dear all, It has been for a while that I am logging in this forum, I studied and learnt a lot from you!Thank you all!

i have a poes, her name is weiwei, 15 years old, got T4 and also CKD for 2 year. Her bun-11.7, crea-191, phos-1.05(too low according to DA)--this data was gotten in the mid of Feb, I will bring her for the next blood test in May mid.

nowadays I stopped to feed her fosfaatbinder since her phos is only 1.05, i feed her dieet cans and some dieet dry foods(as snacks)--(which contains rice i dislike)--I am a grain free supporter.

recently i feed her some vegetables(Asperge , Broccoli or pumpkin, snijbonen) mixing with the dieet wet foods, and it really help her constipation a lot!almost every day weiwei can have nice poep. I add always 30% of vegetables ,Weiwei can finish 2 small green asperges for each meal--she really likes it!and sometimes I also feed her some cooked eeg white as an addtional eiwit--which contains almost 0% phosphorus inside

and except it she also takes omega 3 fish oil, Cq10, probiotic,enrich lever essence as daily supplement, sometimes also enzyme medicine for preventing pancreatitis, and Denamarin medicine for protecting her lever(most of medicines are absorpted by the lever and the kidney as you know), one medicien is called nefguard Actieve kool-can absorb the toxicity from the body(made in Japan) that i also give to her(not always, it needs 2 hours interval time)

by the way, although she is 15 years old, she still has very white and beautiful intact teeth!!no teeth stone at all! I brush her teeth once per 2 days with an electric toothbrush-only need 1 min to finish all brushing(my cat is already get used for doing this)

can you please share some medical knowledge of yours you have?
softvoice2007
Huiskat
Huiskat

Re: How i take care for my CKD cat(15 yrs and also T4)

Afbeelding
start to give weiwei Rapros for a few weeks, dont know the result yet. its price is 10800JPY=86EURO,which is very expensive, weiwei takes 2 pills per day--that means almost 2 euro per day. 1 rapros contains Beraprost Sodium 55mcg, and some of my chinese net friends can get Beraprost this medicine in China very easily--compared to Rapros, humans Beraprost is much cheaper, therefore in another word, they use normal Beraprost to give to their cat. However there is something I dont understand, humans Beraprost only has 20mcg and 40mcg dossie, how come a cat needs to take its dossie more than a humanbeing? :edoh:
ErikPhilippus
Tijger
Tijger

Bericht door ErikPhilippus »

These kidney blood values are quite common I guess for a cat of that age. So I would hesitate to label her as CKD... At the other hand, a higher T4 could mask kidney failure to some extend, but a mild hyperthyreoïdie has beneficial side-effect for kidney failure. I'm a bit puzzled by the Rapros/Beraprost... it is because Weiwei has high blood pressure? If that's the case, we have a very effective (and a lot cheaper) medicine Amlodipine. Or is there another reason you give this? And I see you are also giving Semintra - is her urine checked for proteins (I would be surprised, given her kidney blood values....)?

And to be honest, I'm a bit shocked to see this amount of medicine, supplements and other stuff...... This is all for Weiwei on a regular basis? :shock:
softvoice2007
Huiskat
Huiskat

ErikPhilippus schreef: 29 apr 2019 11:58 These kidney blood values are quite common I guess for a cat of that age. So I would hesitate to label her as CKD... At the other hand, a higher T4 could mask kidney failure to some extend, but a mild hyperthyreoïdie has beneficial side-effect for kidney failure. I'm a bit puzzled by the Rapros/Beraprost... it is because Weiwei has high blood pressure? If that's the case, we have a very effective (and a lot cheaper) medicine Amlodipine. Or is there another reason you give this? And I see you are also giving Semintra - is her urine checked for proteins (I would be surprised, given her kidney blood values....)?

And to be honest, I'm a bit shocked to see this amount of medicine, supplements and other stuff...... This is all for Weiwei on a regular basis? :shock:
Thank you a lot for your feed back, Erik! actually WW used to have a higher BUN /CREA/PHOS numbers compared to before, we regularly bring her to DA to have blood test, as you might know, after T4 level is kept stable now, her kidney disease was appearing. another female cat of mine was dead due to SCC (in her mouth) in the beginning of this year, which let me feel super miserable, thus after it I started to collect all various medicines to keep WW's life desperately. some of the supplements are indeed similar as each other, WW has a bit high blood pressure, but only measured once, and Semintra was given by the local dutch Vet here(The one you saw is a japanese version that is exatly same as western version)

AREI and ARB are quite similar for high blood pressure, according to the Vet, it might help for CKD too. Regarding Rapros, I just want to give a try, dont know whether it helps or not , probably will stop it anyway.

At this moment, what let me concern the most is her urine system, she already has done 3 times urine text, white blood cells and red blood cells show a very high number--4 plus each! later we did a deeper check, no Bacteriën effection, how come is that? By the way, we also did an echoscopie test a few weeks ago, no stones in her kidney and bladder, should i ask for a X ray check?
ErikPhilippus
Tijger
Tijger

High number of white/red blood cells in urine are in most cases related to an inflammation of het bladder and/or kidney (pelvis), in your case probably of non-bacterial origin.

But I'm still confused: are you giving your cat all these medicines and supplements on a regular basis? If that's the case, I would not trust the outcome of any investigation, since there can be all kinds of medicine interaction en other obscure effects that might influence the analysis. I hope we see in the picture all the stuff you have collected over the years, and not what you actually administer to WeiWei - otherwise, something is very, very wrong.....
Sansan
Tijger
Tijger

Bericht door Sansan »

Hello!
Erik, i see a lot of supplements. So lucky not all the items are meds.

@TS: do you know the original phosphate level before the ckd treatment? A low phosphate isnt good.
ErikPhilippus
Tijger
Tijger

Mmmm... Supplements can have serious side-effects and/or interactions with medicines too. That something is a supplement will not by definition say it cannot be harmful...
Sansan
Tijger
Tijger

Bericht door Sansan »

softvoice, how is it with your cat and do you use Rapros already?
Plaats reactie